We recently sat down with the Creator of upcoming clothing brand HEVVY Imani Gray. We got to know a little about her and what new things she has coming to the people soon. So check it out
Who are you and what are you all about?
- My name is Imani Gray and I'm all about visual art and self-expression.
Where are you originally from?
- I am originally from Fort. Pierce, Florida.
How and where was HEVVY created?
- HEVVY was created by me wanting to wear gear that either no one was making or I couldn't afford it at the time. I wanted an urban look but it needed to be really clean and simple. I was living in Chinatown, DTLA and I was really inspired by my surroundings. There was culture, sophistication, and grit all in the same place. That's what HEVVY stands for in a nutshell. The name itself came from the actual word heavy, meaning big, ample, massive.. It's substantial, ya know. And that's what I'm bringing to the fashion industry. We will not be overlooked.
What type of fashion do you like?
- The fashion I'm into has always been simple but on point. Nothing I ever wear is bright or overdoing it. As far as brands are concerned, I wear timeless gear. The brands that make clothes that will never be out of style.
What clothing lines do you look up to?
- Hmm.. I wouldn't say I "look up to" these brands but I respect the things they do. Polo Ralph Lauren is cool for the quality and consistency. Polo never fell off. Supreme for building such a great aesthetic. & Nautica for staying true. Um.. then there's Bape, Hilfiger, and Nike. I could honestly go on and on listing the brands that did it the right way.
Who motivates you?
- Myself. My mom. Pharrell.
What was your first job and what did you do with your first paycheck?
- Ha! My first and only job was American Apparel. I re'd up on HEVVY gear with my first check.
How do you feel about celebrities getting all the free goodies when they are the people who can afford the goodies?
- When you look at it in that light it sucks but hey that's the way the world is set up. Companies need the stars to wear, promote, and support the product in order for everyone else to follow suit.
What do you like to do on your spare time?
- Paint, workout, and watch movies. If I'm not designing for HEVVY, that's what I'm doing.
What is your favorite piece of clothing you have dropped?
- My favorite piece I've dropped was the black "Scholar" long sleeve tee from my last collection, "'95 Til Infinity".
How are your clothes different from other street wear brands?
- My clothes are different from other street wear brands because HEVVY isn't in a box. The possibilities are endless to where this company can go without losing the essence of what it stands for.
Do you have anything coming out this summer?
- I may drop 2 more designs, but the winter collection is what everyone needs to be on the look out for.
Any last words for the people?
- All I have to say is go cop a piece from the "We Up Next" collection before you miss out. I don't do re-releases.